Fires at Home Start in These 5 Ways | SERVPRO® of North Kenosha County
Well over a million fires are reported to local agencies each year, and while most of them occur in natural or industrial settings, more than 25% of all reported fires happen at home, and so do over 75% of all home fire fatalities.
Statistically speaking, it’s interesting to know what the causes of these home fires are, and it can help you know where to focus your energy regarding fire safety. So let’s take a look.
Cooking. Add any two whole numbers together, and the chances that your result will be either even or odd are a statistical tie. The same goes for predicting whether a home fire will start in the kitchen: It’s the kitchen vs. the rest of the field. Half of all fires start here, and the main culprit is unattended cooking.
Heating equipment. When the weather cools down, the heaters come out. While your HVAC or natural gas can malfunction and cause fires, a main cause of fall and winter fires is the plucky little appliance called the space heater. Known to overheat, tip over or overload power supply lines, these little devices create a surprising number of issues. Make sure to upgrade to a newer model with safety feathers, and always heat safely away from flammable materials, regardless of the source.
Electrical fires. It only takes a spark to get a fire going, and with all the wiring running through your home, there’s plenty of opportunities for sparks to ignite. Never plug appliances into loose or troublesome outlets, be careful not to overload lighting fixtures with high-watt bulbs, and routinely let a pro examine your system for needed maintenance or upgrades.
Intentional fires. A reported 28,000 intentional home fires are set each year by someone purposely using ignition sources to set a piece of property ablaze. It’s almost as sad as…
Smoking materials. The leading cause of home fire deaths is the least common cause of home fires. Though only 5% of house fires begin this way, the circumstances often surrounding the fires, plus the added effect of carbon monoxide poisoning, create a deadly combination. If you smoke, always do it with utmost caution, and never smoke in bed or while you’re impaired or groggy.
Regardless of the cause, SERVPRO is here for you if your home is affected by fire. Contact your local team today to see how we can help.