If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (262) 764-7231

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Celebrate the Holidays With Fire Safety in Mind | SERVPRO® of North Kenosha County

11/19/2020 (Permalink)

multicolor strand of lights on wood floor Make sure your fire risk is low during the holidays. If you experience any damage, SERVPRO of North Kenosha County will be here to help.

Celebrate the Holidays With Fire Safety in Mind | SERVPRO® of North Kenosha County - SERVPRO OF NORTH KENOSHA COUNTY Blog

There is no time when it is safe to not be concerned with house fires, but during the winter, it is wise to be extra cautious during your regular activities. Winter is the leading time for house fires to occur based on Red Cross data, and while many activities can present heightened risks, preceding with caution can help you stay safe.

An increase in cooking and baking surrounding winter holidays is partially to blame for this trend, but the use of heaters, fireplaces and decorations also plays a factor. While these activities are integral to a winter well spent, it is important to do them safely to avoid increasing your chances of experiencing a fire in the home.

Enjoy Winter Activities Without Increasing Your Fire Risk

Keep safe when cooking. Cooking and baking routinely cause the most amount of fires every year, but during the winter is when the frequency of these incidents peak. It is important to always practice fire safety in the kitchen, even when things are hectic. Watching out for flammable objects near the stove, always having a fire extinguisher on-hand and never cooking when tired or when things will be unattended are all key for safety.

Heat the house with proper precautions. In the chilly weather, using a fireplace or space heater is a cozy way to make your home more comfortable, as long as safety precautions are followed. Be sure you use a space heater with the latest safety features such as tip-over and overheating sensors, and never use the fireplace when the fire may be left unattended. As with any heating element, never keep flammable objects near a space heater or a fireplace, too.

Decorate with care. Decorations such as lights and other various electronics bring a festive feel to the home, but using them safely is a must. Christmas tree fires are caused by lights 25% of the time. Fortunately, you can enjoy decorations safely by not overloading outlets and power strips, never using frayed wires and ensuring that lights are not left on when you are sleeping or away from home.

If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.

Other News

View Recent Posts