Space Heater Safety
Millions of people use space heaters to keep warm in the winter. They are small, cost efficient and can keep your family warm. During the colder months, space heater fires increase. Improper use of a space heater can cause your home to go up in flames. With subzero temperatures approaching the end of this week here in Kenosha, we wanted to share some safety tips with you should you choose to use a space heater.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully
- Only use a heater that has a recognized testing laboratory on the label
- Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. Do not use the heater if they are frayed, worn or damaged.
- space heaters need space, keep everything clear of them by at least three feet
- space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes
- Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place them on cabinets, tables, furniture or carpet which can overheat and start a fire.
- plug it directly into a wall outlet and you should never plug a space heater into an extension cord or power strip. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater. This can cause it to overheat and result in a fire.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play too close
- When not in use, unplug and safely store the heater
- make sure you have smoke alarms installed on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas
You can count on SERVPRO of North Kenosha County to provide you with the tips that you need to help protect you, your home and your belongings from fire damage. Should fire damage occur, we are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.